Liebster Award

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Quirky or Annoying?

I have noticed in my supreme observations(ha.ha) that there are some quirks out there in books that are...annoying. A quirk is something that is something only a certain character has. Nervous habit, phrase they always say, popping knuckles. The benefit in putting a quirk to some character is that it defines them, as well clues the readers into what their feeling without just coming out and saying what they felt. However, I was reading this one series of books (Fallen, Lauren Kate, 2 stars) where the main character cracked her knuckles when she was nervous, bored, or awkward. It started off as a way for another character to remember her , then morphed into a constant, somewhat random habit of the author. It took from the story in my own opinion, but not all quirks have too. I have a friend who's a Blondie, blue-eyed and cheery. She's like a  bubble of happiness. She used to have this habit we'd tease her about non-stop, she's sweep her bangs out of her face and simultaneously say "Seriously" But now thinking back on it, I realize that it was a window to her deeper self. She is really very a well thought out person, and can be serious. This was her way of agreeing, of making things more serious. In a book this would be a bit to reveal herself more to reader, for them to get to know her better.
What are some quirks you've read about, or know?

3 comments:

  1. Huh... well I am a blue eyed blonde who used to sweep her bangs and say seriously all the time... :D cute!! I must be famous!!! But, I find myself all the time saying "that's interesting..." It isn't necassarily a good or bad remark to someone, just something I say! Is it bad i have a habit of saying this? No, not really, unless it gets to be something where everyone knows that I'm really only saying my phrase so I don't have to come out and tell them that I don't like what they did. That's a long sentence meaning, habits are ok unless they start hurting someone else. (where did that come from?) :D good post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Marie
    Psshhhh, your a blonde? Really? But i like what you said, about it being hurtful when
    interpenetated a bit too deeply, or just deeply enough. who thought you would analyze habits?
    Thanks! Glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I'm reading a book in a series and one of the characters is always eating. Kind of funny the first few times, but now, a little on the disgusting side. Plus, b-o-r-i-n-g.

    Nice post!

    ReplyDelete